Monday, September 3, 2018

Labor day weekend - Eastside

I had a great weekend of sport climbing on the Sierra Eastside for the labor day long weekend.We had an awesome chill weekend of camping, climbing and hiking. Our friend Michelle came, along with her dog Bart. Of course Penny was our ever-present crag dog. 

We sampled a variety of crags, getting in a good mix of climbs. 

First-up, the Gong Show wall in Rock Creek. Vertical granite sport climbing was the name of the game. First we warmed up on a easy 5.9.

Me leading the warm-up
Then it was off to a crimpy and technical 5.10b, -- my specialty. I was grinning ear-to-ear.

Technical face

I love this stuff!

The heat started to beat down, so we moved into the shade and sampled a beautiful 5.10c.I flailed for a bit on a 5.11b before calling it a day. We headed back to the desert for some relaxing camping.

Penny loves camping!
The next day we got up early and headed to Al's garage, an area of volcanic sport climbing. It was super nice and shady in the morning which was great. I led a fun 5.9 as a warm-up. The route was abit sporty with some not quite run-out bolt spacing.  Then Teresa and Michelle sort of siege led it for awhile, each of them digging a bit deeper to overcome those scary exposed bolt spacing!

Teresa on the sharp end.
I headed up another 5.9 and had a major wasp attack! My ears were stung, so like a hero, I bailed immediately. WE climbed another route, then the sun beamed in, and we headed out for the day.

Right before being attacked by wasps
Michelle on the sharp end - a fun and tricky 5.10a
After climbing for the day, we headed up to Saddle bag lake for a nice hike with the dogs.

Michelle and Bart enjoying a break in the alpine above Saddlebag lake
My little family.
We met up with Mitch for dinner in Mammoth, then back to the desert for another night.

The next day we headed to the Matrimony wall, which involved steep granite sport climbing. Super-fun!

Leading some fun 5.10 moves
Teresa TRing a tricky steep 5.10
Overall a great weekend. I am looking forward to climbing on the eastside again soon, and climbing with Michelle again!

Glamping in the desert


No comments:

Post a Comment