Monday, November 20, 2017

Peak bagging in the high desert

This weekend I was looking to get out and stretch my legs. My regular partners were all busy, so I headed out for a solo adventure in the very southern tip of the Sierra crest, where it intersects with high desert and turns into the big empty Mojave

Into the desert
 On Saturday I woke up at 5am drove the 99 south to Bakersfield, and then headed into the Kern canyon down hwy 178, bringing me to the Walker Pass trailhead of the PCT. 

 I had decided to hike up Morris Peak and Mt Jenkins. These 2 peaks constitute the very Southern terminus of the Sierra Nevada range. They are the last named peaks of the range as the hills turn into desert. They are small mountains, more like hills, but were a nice jaunt and leg stretcher.

Desert trial
Mt Jenkins

Joshua Tree

 After a nice day of hiking, I headed over to the Alabama Hills and met up with Alex (a young pharmacist in Mammoth). We had a nice time clipping bolts. Fun weekend. Now we are off to Utah for Thanksgiving....



Looking down at Indian Wells Canyon from Mt. Jenkins



No comments:

Post a Comment